June 09, 2022
Cream of Oyster Mushroom and Tawaka Soup
Soup lovers rejoice! We have a mushroom soup recipe that's a hug in a mug (or soup bowl)! Warm food is perfect in the cooler weather and this mushroom soup is delish, simple and filling.
We used Tawaka and Phoenix oyster mushrooms in this recipe but you could use any combination of your favourite mushroom varieties. Serve it with warm, buttery sourdough bread from your local baker and enjoy!
- 250g tawaka mushrooms
- 250g grey oyster mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions diced
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup cooking cream (or vegan cream)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 4 cups of warm water
- 2 stock cubes
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Using a large pot, heat the butter and oil over medium heat. Fry the onion and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Dice the mushrooms into 1cm cubes and add mushrooms and fresh herbs to the pot. Cook for 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Add the flour and mix it throughout the mushrooms.
- Add the dry white wine and wait for it to simmer. Then cook for a further 2 minutes while stirring.
- Dissolve stock cubes in the warm water and add all 4 cups to the pot. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low-medium, cover and let it simmer for 15mins, stirring occasionally.
- The soup will thicken and once thickened, stir in the cream and bring it back to a simmer.
- Scoop out half of the soup mix and add it to a blender. Blend on high until smooth.
- Pour the smooth soup back into the pot and stir until an even consistency is reached.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with crusty, warm bread and enjoy!