House of Fungi
Pink Oyster Mushroom Grow Kit
It's easy to grow your own mushrooms! Simply open, mist with water and within 14 days you will harvest fresh oyster mushrooms. Our kits come ready to grow with instructions included on the box.
Also known as the Pink Flamingo oyster mushroom, this tropical variety turns heads with its intensely pink colour and beautiful layered clusters. Pink oyster mushrooms prefer warmer conditions and grows best at temperatures of between 18◦C and 25◦C.
These mushrooms have a meaty, umami flavour when cooked and when fried crispy, they resemble bacon or ham.
Scientific name: Pleurotus djamor
The grow kit must be opened before the open-by date to ensure that the mushroom mycelium survives. If you are purchasing a kit as a gift and can't gift it immediately, we recommend that you either ship it directly to the receiver or give a gift card instead.
MUSHROOM YIELD PER GROW KIT
If you follow the instructions and give the oyster mushroom grow kit the proper care then you can expect at least two harvests of oyster mushrooms with a combined average of 1.5kg per grow kit. You may even get a 3rd or 4th harvest.
100% NZ MADE
Our mushroom grow kits and fresh mushrooms are 100% NZ grown. We source the substrate on which we grow our mushrooms locally and grow our mushrooms right out of the heart of Auckland.
We do not import mushroom grow blocks and are proud to be a part of the NZ Made and NZ Grown brand.
Our mushroom grow kits come fully colonised with mushroom mycelium and ready to grow. They must be opened within a week of receiving or before the open-by date. For best results, open immediately.
1. Place the kit indoors in an area with good ventilation and indirect sunlight. Remove the front cardboard panel. Cut an “X” into the plastic bag underneath using a clean, sharp knife. 3-4cm is ideal.
2. Use a spray bottle or a small water mister to spray the area where you cut a “X’ by gently lifting the plastic flaps of the "X" and spray the area underneath. When spraying give 3 to 4 sprays at a time. Aim to do this twice a day. The idea is to keep the area where the mushrooms will grow moist so if it starts to look dry, feel free to water.
3. Once you see little mushroom pins appearing, you can mist them more often – they love water! As they grow you will even be able to watch how the mushrooms absorb water right in front of your own eyes.
4. Harvest the mushrooms when their cap edges become thin and wavy by firmly gripping the cluster at its base, twisting and pulling it off. It will pop off. You can also cut it off at the base with a knife.
For the best tasting, quality mushrooms, you can look out for the following signs to tell you that your mushrooms are ready to harvest:
- They are no longer doubling in size daily.
- The edges of the caps are still curled down but are becoming wavy and thin.
When the caps start curling up the mushroom quality starts declining but do not be discouraged as they will still be fine to harvest and eat.
Mature mushrooms will release mushroom spores. By harvesting the mushrooms when they are thinning and their caps are becoming wavy, you will avoid mushroom spores being released. If the mushrooms release spores onto the surface underneath, they can be wiped away with a damp cloth.
If you have any doubts as to when to harvest, feel free to message us anytime.
COOK AND ENJOY!
GROWING A SECOND CROP:
1. Lift the plastic under the “X” and scrape away any remaining mushrooms stems left behind after harvesting using a clean knife or fork.
2. Mist the area with water twice a day or more. You want to keep the area moist but not soaking wet.
3. The grow kit will need 14 days to “rest and repair” as the mycelium in the bag is stimulated to grow more mushrooms. After this rest period, you should see mushrooms pins appearing again but sometimes the mushrooms can take up to 2 to 3 weeks to reappear, especially during the cooler months so keep misting even if you don’t see anything happen. The second crop also may have slightly fewer mushrooms so don’t be discouraged by slightly less growth - it is natural as the nutrients in the bag are being used by previous crops.
COMPOST YOUR SPENT KIT:
When the grow kit no longer grows mushrooms, empty the contents of your bag into the garden compost. You can also break up the contents of the grow kit and mix it into a shady spot in your garden and you may see oyster mushrooms grow right out of the ground.
Dispatch and delivery times:
Once your order is placed you will immediately be emailed an order confirmation.
We ship orders Monday to Friday NZT (excluding Public Holidays) using a tracked non-signature delivery service. Please allow 1 to 3 business days for your order to be dispatched. Once your order has been dispatched you will receive an email with tracking details. It should arrive within 2 to 3 business days from dispatch.
Auckland: $8 (flat rate up to 2 kits)
North Island: $12.50 (flat rate up to 2 kits)
South Island: $18.30 (per kit)
BUY 3 KITS OR MORE AND GET FREE SHIPPING. All kits must be shipped to the same address.
We currently do not ship outside of New Zealand.