Oyster mushrooms and bacon spaghetti in a creamy tomato basil sauce.
If you are in the mood for pasta that is rich, savoury and loaded with mushrooms then look no further. We’ve been making this one for years and want to share our family comfort-food recipe with you.
For those of you following a vegan lifestyle, you can easily leave out the bacon and substitute the dairy for non-dairy alternatives. We find coconut cream works well with this recipe too!
- olive oil
- 400g oyster mushrooms, sliced or torn into 2cm strips
- 250g smoked streaky bacon, cut into 2cm strips
- crushed garlic
- 350g dried spaghetti
- 1 jar of tomato and basil sauce (we use Barillo Basilico sauce)
- 250g crème fraiche
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- Herbs of garnishing
- Using a large frying pan, bring 100ml water to the boil and add the mushrooms, letting them simmer over medium heat for 10 mins.
- Boil away any remaining water, add olive oil and crushed garlic and fry the mushrooms over a medium to high heat until the they turn golden brown.
- Remove mushrooms from the heat and set aside in a seperate bowl.
- Cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions.
- While the spaghetti is cooking, clean the large frying pan and return it to the stove.
- Heat a tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Add the bacon and onions and fry for 6 mins, until softened and lightly brown.
- Turn the heat down to low to medium. Stir in the cooked mushrooms then the tomato and basil sauce and then the crème fraiche. Let it all simmer for 3 mins or until heated through.
- Add 2/3 cup of parmesan cheese and stir it, letting it melt into the creamy sauce.
- Drain the pasta in a colander and return to the pan. Mix the spaghetti into the sauce and stir until evenly coated.
- Divide the spaghetti equally among 4 serving bowls and serve.
- Add black pepper, remaining parmesan and garnish. Enjoy!
SERVES 4 | COOKING TIME: 30-40 MINS